Why Local SEO Can Be A Challenge Sometimes
The term “Local SEO” is a very broad term, and each individual business may have unique challenges with being found online for their selected keywords. Every market is different and every industry is different. So behavior will vary in both, and this behavior needs to be taken into consideration when developing a good, effective Local SEO campaign. Let’s take a look at some possible local SEO cases.
There are many different type of Local SEO scenarios, some of which may include:
- One physical location, customers come to that location and customers are served within a certain mile radius of that location.
- One physical location, products and/or services are delivered to customers within a 5 – 20 mile radius of that location.
- One physical location, products and/or services are delivered to customers within a larger radius than 5 – 20 miles or a specific region, state, etc.
- One physical location and products and/or services are delivered to specific regions but cannot be defined accurately by using a radius, and must be defined by zip codes, city names or regional names.
- More than one physical location with criteria from above samples.
For some Local SEO campaigns, we create, edit and/or enhance clients Google Places listings or create backlink campaign for localized keywords.
A few sample concepts of the challenges facing any typical Local SEO situation.
A check cashing company located in a city in Southern California. Their immediate need was to let people in the area know that they existed. This is a good example of specific market information that varies from client to client. People will only travel so far to cash a check, they may also go directly from their work to cash a check, so they may work in the area, we had to look at large employers in the area to decide the cities to rank in. In this case, we enhanced their Google Places listing to include a wider radius, they consistently got highest rankings in Google Places and mission was accomplished. No back link building, minimal on page SEO, as there were not many keywords.
A more complex example was a furniture store in the greater Los Angeles area. The owner wanted to appear in some cities, but not in others. There were other dealers in some of those other cities that he did not want to compete directly with. This was perfect solution for WordPress SEO plugin PageInvasion. PageInvasion is software we originally created for our purposes and use in-house only for clients. It was released to the public in December 2010. This Local SEO software is very effective for regional and or more specific geographical needs.
The program allowed us to enter in main keywords, relating to furniture, then enter in names of specific cities. The software then combines the two groups of keywords to create hundreds, or thousands, of unique landing pages, all optimized for the particular combination of keywords.
The Realities Of Local SEO Campaigns
People will only drive so far for church, a restaurant or other services. Likewise, businesses will only service, or prefer to service customers within a certain mile radius of their business. All of this must be taken into consideration when developing an effective Local SEO campaign.